July 7, 2021 Food Can Balance Your Energy: Nutritious Orange Peel Tea for Summer!
“Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food.”
This famous quote is often attributed to Hippocrates, although there’s no actual proof he ever said it. But whoever did say it was brilliant! Everything we put in our bodies affects us, so not only can we nurture ourselves with food, we can heal and balance ourselves with it, too.
It’s long been known that specific flavors support and balance each of the Five Element energies. Today we once again honor the summer energy of Fire. The taste that balances Fire is bitter, and there are many great ways to include this flavor in our lives. Last week we featured a delicious kale salad. Another wonderful bitter flavor can be found in orange peels, and they are surprisingly good for you. Orange peel has 60 different types of flavonoids and 170 types of phytonutrients besides being rich in vitamins, minerals, pectin, and fibers. Historically, the Chinese have used orange peels for medicinal purposes for centuries.
Featured here: Orange Peel Tea! We all know that the flavors and vitamins of orange are more in the peel than in the juice. So does it really make sense to throw all those vitamins in the garbage or compost heap? Of course not! Orange peel tea is a tasty beverage you can make to change your mood and boost immunity. And the tangy flavors of the tea will keep your mouth refreshed long after enjoying it. You can make the simple orange tea shown here into a tea of your choice by adding green or black tea, too.
So gather your ingredients and get ready to create a tasty orange peel tea courtesy of www.recipe52.com. Easy to prepare, this drink is equally yummy served hot or cold with breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks.
Orange Peel Tea
- Sliced orange peels, ideally thin skins (about ½ cup)
- Water, about 2 cups
- Spices, if desired (cinnamon, cardamon, clove, nutmeg, etc.)
- Honey or other sweetener, if desired
- Black or green tea, if desired
- Lemon juice, if desired
- Begin by boiling the water.
- While water comes to a boil, wash, dry, and peel fresh organic oranges.
- Cut the peels into thin slices roughly ½” wide by 2-3” long.
- Add orange peels and desired spices to boiling water.
- You can also add black or green tea leaves or tea bags at this stage if you want a more traditional tea.
- Boil for 2 minutes, then cover and steep for 10 minutes.
- Reheat and, if desired, add a little lemon juice for a boost of flavor.
- Garnish with extra fruit if you want. Serve and enjoy!
Super easy, this recipe features the bitter taste of orange peels that helps balance Fire energy. And as an added bonus, it works wonderfully served iced!