July 14, 2021 Food Can Balance Your Energy: Salty Cumin Cashews to Cool the Summer Heat
“Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food.”
This famous quote is often attributed to Hippocrates, although there’s no actual proof he ever said it. But whoever did say it was brilliant! Everything we put in our bodies affects us, so not only can we nurture ourselves with food, we can heal and balance ourselves with it, too.
It’s long been known that specific flavors support and balance each of the Five Element energies. Today we once again honor the summer energy of Fire, but using the flavor that supports Water energy to help keep our Fire in check. This works because in the Five Elements model, Water helps control Fire.
The taste that supports Water is salty, and there are any number of ways to include this flavor in our lives. Today we’re going to experience the salty goodness of Roasted Cumin Cashews! Cashews are low in sugar and rich in fiber, heart-healthy fats, and plant protein. They’re also a good source of copper, magnesium, and manganese – nutrients important for energy production, brain health, immunity, and bone health.
So gather your ingredients and get ready to create a tasty batch of salty cumin cashews courtesy of www.tasteofhome.com. Easy to prepare, this is a yummy snack anytime of the day or night.
Salty Cumin Cashews
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cans (9 ¾ oz. each) salted whole cashews
- 1/3 cup sugar (or other sweetener used proportionally)
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk egg white and water. Add cashews and toss to coat. Transfer to a colander; drain for 2 minutes. In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add cashews and toss to coat.
- Arrange in a single layer in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 250° for 50-55 minutes, stirring once. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Super easy, this nutritious recipe features the salty taste of cashews that helps balance the Water energy we need whenever we want help keeping our Fire energy in check.