August 11, 2021 Food Can Balance Your Energy: Try the Healthy Sweetness of Chunky Monkey Oatmeal Bars!
“Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food.”
This famous quote is often attributed to Hippocrates, although there’s no actual proof he ever said it. But whoever did say it was brilliant! Everything we put in our bodies affects us, so not only can we nurture ourselves with food, we can heal and balance ourselves with it, too.
It’s long been known that specific flavors support and balance each of the Five Element energies. Since it’s still summer up here in the Northern hemisphere, we’re still honoring the summer energy of Fire, but we’re going to come at it a little bit differently today. Previously, we’ve used tastes known to balance Fire energy directly, as well as tastes that support the element that controls Fire in the Five Elements model (which is Water). This time, we’re going to use the taste that supports Earth, the element that pulls energy from Fire in the model.
That means we should all be ready for a healthy sweet like Chunky Monkey Oatmeal Bars because Earth responds to the taste of sweetness. Plus, oats are among the healthiest grains we have; they include important vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. And studies show that oats and oatmeal have many health benefits, too, including weight loss, lower blood sugar levels, and a reduced risk of heart disease. They are a great source of fiber, as well, which promotes healthy gut bacteria.
So, roll up your sleeves and get ready to help support your Earth energy (so it’s ready to pull a bit from Fire) with a healthy batch of Chunky Monkey Oatmeal Bars courtesy of thebakingchoclatess.com. All you need to make this yummy treat is oats, peanut butter, bananas, a little maple syrup, walnuts, and chocolate chunks or chips (for the top of the bars so they look pretty). The bananas are the main natural sweetener for these bars, but if you want more sweetness, you can add additional maple syrup or another sweetener of your choice. Also, these bars are vegan (no egg needed) and you can make them gluten-free if you want to use gluten-free oats. Bon Appetit!
Chunky Monkey Oatmeal Bars
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup peanut butter or any nut butter you prefer
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1-3 tablespoons maple syrup or brown sugar (if desired)
- ¼ cup walnuts roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper, spray with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a medium large mixing bowl, mix together the oats, mashed banana, peanut butter, maple syrup, walnuts, and cinnamon until fully incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread out in an even layer.
- Top with chocolate chunks (or chips), then bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Allow the bars to cool in the pan somewhat before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Cut and serve.