February 11, 2022 For February, Enjoy Salty Sweet Potato Chips!
“Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food.”
This famous quote is often attributed to Hippocrates, although there’s no actual proof he ever said it. But whoever did say it was brilliant! Everything we put in our bodies affects us, so not only can we nurture ourselves with food, we can heal and balance ourselves with it, too!
It’s long been known that specific flavors support each of the Five Element energies. This month we honor the energy of Water, the element that embraces the quiet, inner-directed yin time of winter and allows creativity to flourish. The taste that supports the Water element is salty, which means February is an excellent time to enjoy these easy to make Salted Sweet Potato Chips!
Sweet potatoes are one of the world’s best superfoods. Tasty and inexpensive, they’re full of valuable nutrients like Vitamins B, C, and A. Sweet potatoes are also a good source of choline, which is mostly found in meat and eggs. Choline is important to reduce inflammation and improve sleep, learning, and memory. Even better, it’s really important for our nervous system and brain function.
To make this delicious and good-for-you salty snack, in addition to five simple ingredients, you’ll need about 30 minutes of your time (10 prepping, 20 baking), a sharp knife, a bowl, a spatula, baking sheets, and your oven. So, roll up your sleeves and get ready to help support your Water energy with these healthy and delicious Salted Sweet Potato Chips courtesy of DeliciousMeetsHealthy.com. Bon Appetit!
Salted Sweet Potato Chips
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine olive oil, salt, black pepper, and dried rosemary in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, then use a sharp knife (or mandolin if you have one) to cut the sweet potatoes into thin rounds (or thicker if you prefer).
- Add the sliced sweet potatoes to the mixing bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread the sweet potato slices into a single layer on the baking sheets leaving space around them. Bake about 10-12 minutes (longer for thicker chips) on each side turning them once, until golden. Watch carefully near the end; they can burn easily.
- Remove from the oven and cool the sweet potato chips on cooling racks for about 5-10 minutes. They will crisp up a little more as they cool. Makes 4 servings. Enjoy!!!