January 6, 2022 For January, Try Salty Cauliflower Popcorn!
“Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food.”
This famous quote is often attributed to Hippocrates, although there’s no actual proof he ever said it. But whoever did say it was brilliant! Everything we put in our bodies affects us, so not only can we nurture ourselves with food, we can heal and balance ourselves with it, too.
It’s long been known that specific flavors support each of the Five Element energies. This month we honor the energy of Water, the element that embraces the quiet, inner-directed yin time of winter and allows creativity to flourish. The taste that supports the Water element is salty, which makes January an excellent time to enjoy this salty and super easy to make Cheddar Cauliflower Popcorn!
Cauliflower is an extremely healthy vegetable that’s a significant source of nutrients. In fact, cauliflower contains some of almost every vitamin and mineral we need for good health. It also contains unique plant compounds that may reduce the risk of several diseases, including heart disease and cancer. Additionally, it’s high in fiber which feeds the healthy bacteria in our gut that helps reduce inflammation and promote digestive health.
To make this fun salty snack, in addition to five simple ingredients, you’ll need less than 30 minutes of your time, a bowl, an ungreased pan, and your oven. So, roll up your sleeves and get ready to help support your Water energy with this healthy and surprisingly yummy Cheddar Cauliflower Popcorn courtesy of BettyCrocker.com. Bon Appetit!
Cheddar Cauliflower Popcorn
- 3 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 450°F. In a large bowl, toss cauliflower, oil, salt, and pepper until well mixed. Pour mixture into ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes, tossing halfway through bake time, until light golden brown and crisp-tender.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for about 1 minute or until cheese is melted, then serve. Makes 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts of One Serving: 120 Calories, 9g Total Fat, 5g Protein, 6g Total Carbohydrate, 2g Sugars